Sunday, 8 April 2012

Preparation

Firstly the name of the blog is not my idea it was from one of the tribe - not sure I relate to this silver fox idea?
I recently took up a new job with a company called  Uranex (yes it does sound like a treatment for something nasty in your waterworks!). Uranex is a minnow on the Stock Exchange, it is a mineral exploration company focused on uranium and with "hot",both  literally and speculatively, property in Tanzania.
I'm about to do my first trip to "outback" Tanzania and I am going to keep a blog of it  AND I'm going to try and keep it interesting and entertaining.
I hear you all shout "stop now!", "don't do it!" (the blog I mean). "Pls don't bore us witless". Well indulge me and I'll try to make it at least a little witty and insightful and to give a view of life in that far off world. For those of you that have been following Penny's walk across Spain do not expect it to be anywhere as near as entertaining!!
Today is Sunday, 29th April - I fly out to Dar Es Salaam tomorrow for a day in the big port city then Wednesday I drive 500km west to a place called Manyoni, then on saturday another drive, 800km south to Lukuju near Songea in the far SW of the country. Then back to Dar by plane (as we seasoned visitors call it).
I don't have a lot of information on geography but I understand  Lukuju is out in a State forest area near one of the biggest game parks in Tanzania; the camp is fenced to keep the lions and elephants out and I have been advised to take ear plugs because of the noise of hyena's at night. I know little about Manyoni other than the shower water has a nasty smell (like pooh was the description) and it is essenetially a truck stop with brothels in the main street - I get to stay in one of the "hotels".
So its going to be a trip packed with interesting experiences but I think the key challenges is going to be keeping the bowels functioning normally, the mosquitos/malaria at bay and eating healthily!
So stay tuned!

cheers

Alistair

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alsitair - firstly - loving the title. Secondly, if you have half as many tossers on your trip, you will most definitely be entertaining....looking forward to reading it! Pen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Silver! Looking forward to reading about your exploits in Tanzania. Easiest way to avoid Malaria - don't get bitten by a mosquito.

    ReplyDelete