Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Dar to Manyoni

Well I have finally  got an Internet connection of sorts and it 6.00am and I'm sitting under my mosquito net just wondering when jet lag is going to subside -  feel like I'm in a fog.

No matter what class you fly long haul flights are crap and this trip was no exception despite the opulence of Emirates. 1.5 hrs in Singapore and 5 hrs in Dubai made for a 24hr+ trip.

Pleasantly surprised so far  Dar is a congested big city, chaotic and noisy but there is a patience about it -  no road rage that I have seen.  the drive to Manyoni turned into a 12 hour marathon  - interesting scenery good road, good driver, good car. The activity on the road is the most amazing thing continuous people going about there daily life from the charcoal sellers, fruit and veg stalls, petrol in plastic containers, bicycles loaded up to the eyeballs, cattle   pulling carts and lone women probably prostitutes waiting for horny truck drivers.  Only wildlife I've seen is packs of gibbons.

I have an extensive team  - what was meant to be a trip for 2 geologist has turned into a cast of thousands - we have drivers, technicians and a cook (moonlighting from the German Embassey)  I think there is about 10 in total all beaming young men in their late 20's waiting to obey your every command.  Dinner was in our office here big almost colonial building  but the dining room was given over to us geologists with the rest of the tribe eating on the verandah.

Oh yes my hotel room  - comfortable but with a very noisy fan and a fancy molded plaster ceiling  - the most compact bathroom you will ever have see, in 3 foot square there is a hand basin, squatty potty and shower - I am about to venture in there hoping and praying I don't put a foot wrong!! The other thing I know is the water supply is sus with high ecoli - so here's hoping I don't ingest anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment