ZANZIBAR
The Fox is back or I have been told that the silver fox is actually some sort of jackal…
The Fox is back or I have been told that the silver fox is actually some sort of jackal…
What a day of contrasts it was, from being chased by 15 aggressive touts trying to
sell me a ticket to being bailed up in a 2m x 2m shed with an insistent
immigration police questioning my visa, to the absolute stunning wonder of
Zanzibar. My head is spinning, must be in Africa again…
I have returned for a nearly 4 week stint down in SW
Tanzania but before I head off there I grabbed a couple of days to have a look
at Dar Es Salaam but more importantly Zanzibar.
Zanzibar is about 70km off the coast of Tanzania, a popular tourist
beach destination and accessible by a fast ferry in about 2 hours. The ferry ride itself was uneventful but at
either end of it there were serious introductions to the challenges of
travelling in Africa.
I got myself bright and early to the ferry terminal to have
my taxi descended upon by about 15 desperate individuals all trying to give
advice, sell me tickets, carry my bags etc.
I just sat there looking out the window going holy shit what’s the next
move? I looked at the taxi driver who
was disinterested other than locking the doors and offered no advice. Deep
breath and I got out and eventually one rather insistent fellow fended off the
others and guided me to an office where I could purchase my own ticket. The only challenge now was that there was a
throng of about 30 at the ticket window, but like Moses and the Red Sea, my guy
parted the crowd and ushered me into a tiny office where tickets could be
bought. Then it was “no I could not get a local price” and” yes I had to buy a
premium ticket” despite the fact that there was only an economy return ticket.
Anyway the insistent guy who helped me got 5000sh for his help and I boarded.
An uneventful trip other than seeing these tiny boats
crammed with 15 or 2 people doing the same crossing or the odd equally tiny
dhow. On arrival in Zanzibar all non-Africans had to go through immigration…
what Zanzibar is the “za” in Tanzania? but
Sir you have the wrong visa! I bloody
well knew I had the right visa but there was no way I was going to convince the
very insistent group of officials otherwise and by the way Sir your new visa
will cost US$200. I had been warned of this scam and for this very reason the
company had given me US100 cash just in case. But I wasn’t going to hand it
over without a bit of a fight, but the more I tried to talk my way out of it, the
more insistent they became. So
eventually I offered $80 and said that’s all I had. After all that they asked
me if that left me with money to spend
on the island, I said no, so the kind
hearted soles made it $60…
You can judge Zanzibar by the pictures, it is stunning with
that azure blue sea, a mixture of
colonial, Indian and Arabic architecture,
narrow alley ways, hyperactive market and of course constant reminder of
its history in the slave and spice trade.
As the travel writers would say a “real fusion of colour and culture”
and that’s how it is. Poverty on one
side of the street and a chic almost Moroccan looking boutique B&B’s and
the food. I didn’t get to look at the
beach resorts but I can only imagine they will add to the attraction of the
place. A definite place to return to.
The burqa is common place in Zanzibar with a very strong
Muslim population, I said to my guide
that I just didn’t get the burqa, no
matter how I looked at it I cannot make sense of it, his explanation was that a
number of women used it as a disguise as they were prostitutes not wanting to
be identified. All I can say is that there must be a roaring trade!
Next stop is the bush.







No comments:
Post a Comment