Being a Refugee… and Jaws
from James Bond??
I was wondering how long it was going to be before I had
enough content but it has rolled around fairly quickly. I’m sitting in my
refugee tent with the drone of a generator as the temperature rapidly drops
probably to about 4-6 degrees. It has been a beautiful day, first time the sky
has been something like clear. For the past 4 days I have been working on top
of a 2700m sort of plateau.
Hard to know where to start. Firstly this is about a 10
hours drive from our base camp and although it is only a few (15 km) south of
our northern tenement, yes you guessed it, you have to drive round a mountain
range to get there and then do a 2hr climb into the hills… nuts! For the google
earth fanatics we had go through Jlalabad which sits on the border with
Uzbekistan. Apparently there was some sort of attempted revolution down there a
couple of years ago and travelling through the
city there are half built empty houses everywhere where the Uzbeki type
people left following the failure of the revolutions.
The 10 hour drive was fascinating actually saw open fertile
farming land (rather than mountains) and bitumen roads. The whole country is committed to agriculture
mainly grazing but also things like sunflowers, and where else to process them
but on the main (bitumen) road; in doing this they take over half the road, firstly drying
the heads, then beating them with sticks to release the seeds then spreading
out the seed (say a 30mx5m area) to dry and then they are swept up into piles
for bagging – all on the road. You see very little mechanised farming, there
are probably some ploughs but often you see hay being cut with a scythe,
tractors you do see look about 50 years old (probably left over from Soviet
times).
The mountains are used for summer pasture for sheep, goats
and cattle. They have grazed the be-jeezus out of the place but summer is coming
to an end and they are already heading down to the lower slopes. The vegetation
up here has been devastated by hundreds of years of grazing, the hillsides
almost have a mosaic of tracks with almost no trees at higher altitude other than a sort of conifer tree that grows about 9” off the ground. This morning we were
at the highest peak which must be close to 3000m and expecting to be alone, here was a shepherd asleep on the ground next to his broken down former soviet car.
We are doing some diamond drilling on the mountain, so there
is a 24 hour a day operation. The camp is run by the drillers. They are tremendous hosts and always wanting
to shake the hand of the visiting international expert which is how I’m
introduced. Food is surprisingly good, yesterday’s delicacy was dumplings
stuffed with meat and onions – awesome, I have offered to swap their cook for our “big
momma”.
Communications are terrible, there is one spot on the
mountain where you can get mobile phone coverage, it’s about a 30min walk if
there are no cars available, yesterday it worked fine today nothing so I spent
about 40min climbing to the top to see if it improved but without success.
Again, in the middle of nowhere and on the side of the mountain, out pops a
shepherd trying to do the same.
Things I hate about Kyrgyzstan 1) flies, down at our base
camp there always seem to be a swarm in the kitchen which I try not to look at
2) mutton, mutton, mutton 3) toilet paper which is like sandpaper and I must confess I’m
starting to dislike tomatoes 4) Nothing works as it should, doors always jamb,
electrical fittings pull out of the wall, toilets leak, the hot water trickles
but the tap gets so hot you almost burn your hand switching it off etc… 5) I hate my bed/s, particularly the one up
here in the drillers camp, firstly I
have been issued with a USA military sleeping bag which is bulky and almost
suffocating if you zip it up so I’ have taken to sleeping on an uncovered foam
mattress with the sleeping bag unzipped like a doona being careful to keep
the edges tucked in as there is a bit of a mice plague (put earplugs in so I
didn’t have to listen to their scratching).
When I get back to base I’ll probably love my 1m wide plank. 6) Cheap
Chinese knock offs, you get Nescafe, Colgate etc.. often Chinese imitations
that taste crap.
The Krgis are a delightful people, as I said very
hospitable, polite and welcoming. So far I have managed to avoid vodka and
fermented horse milk, I know what the former will do but the later apparently
will go straight through you so you need to be near a loo if you drink it, it
is considered a bit of a health tonic.. I also spent a day with a Kyrgy
geologist, built like a mountain goat and with a headful of stainless steel
teeth (yes stainless steel though gold is the most popular style). I could
crack him walking up hill but downhill, as your toenails try to dig into the
mountain side, no chance! At one point I had to just sit down, count to 10 to
calm my nerves and just let him go. I have also been invited bear and wolf
hunting which of course I declined but said I’d pay them to take me so I could
take photos, the only problem is this involves getting on a horse… hmmm.
Next weeks challenge is avoiding a trip in a Soviet
helicopter, we have some hot shot investors coming to visit – there is a spare
seat that has been offered but I might just decline.. would love to do it but a
50 year old chopper maintained in Kyrgyzstan???
Soviet style living - external brown "cladding" is rotting insulation.
School is a serious business - all black and white uniforms.
Bridge of sorts.
They start young - not unusual to see a 5yo with whip in hand on a donkey controlling a heard of cows.
Our worker left (male) ex-Afghan war veteran (soviet side) right.
Jaws!!! Sorry photo got screwed loading.
Me with Jaws and earth moving contractor.
Enjoy the photos -
been difficult to choose so many more I could have put up there.









.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment